Reporting to the Director, Retail- Canada, the Key Account Manager role based in Toronto, is accountable for managing the business across all categories at major retail customer HQ’s in Ontario including Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys and Walmart.
Working with supervisors, brokers and internal business partners (marketing, product development, R&D, supply chain, finance), the incumbent is ultimately accountable for delivering annual sales targets (budget) for assigned customers, while ensuring profitability goals are met in the process.
- Familiarize customers (all levels/functions) with our terms of business (payment, logistics, etc)
- Prepare and present business proposals that include pricing and merchandising ideas, while incorporating market insights and analytics
- Introduce new products/innovation
- Collect local market and competitive information and report findings to appropriate sales and marketing contacts.
- Work closely with R&D/product development to ensure adherence to commercialization processes/timelines.
- Provide forecasting for inventory requirements, especially as it relates to MTO and/or seasonal products
- Handle customer complaints and concerns
- Develop personal capability to bake and demonstrate baked goods in customer meetings and trade show environments
- Work with broker and distributer representatives to identify opportunities
- Maintain close contact with R&D/product development, taking the time to “shepherd” own initiatives while developing solid, respectful relationships with key internal contacts.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures
- Minimum 5-7 years previous sales experience is required, preferably in food products, ideally with baking industry experience.
- A post-secondary degree is preferred.
- The incumbent must be a skilled negotiator, able to write reports and business correspondence.
- Effective at presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Quick thinking, goal oriented individual who can prioritize activities and has the drive, energy and follow-through to achieve results in a rapidly changing, fast paced environment;
- Experience working with food brokers and distribution is an asset
- Candidate must be sufficiently skilled with MS Office